Can I Coach?
The RCBA is always looking for new coaches who are interested in giving youth an opportunity to participate in sport in a fun and developmental atmosphere. We offer boys and girls programs from Kindergarten - Gr. 12, so we can definitely find a spot where you will be comfortable coaching! As well, if you are interested in coaching a specific player (ie: son/daughter/niece/nephew) we always accommodate that request.
If we have more head coaches signed up than we have spots for, we do have a checklist in place to help us select who the Head Coaches will be in that program. However, we always want to provide the opportunity for coach development, we would work with any coaches not selected to be a head coach in a program to ensure that they end up either as an assistant coach in the same program, or as a head coach in a different division.
If you know you want to coach, but are unsure of what age group you would like to coach in or are curious about coaching, please contact the RCBA office and we would be happy to answer any questions you may have!
Do I Need Previous Experience?
While it is always beneficial to have had experience in the past coaching or working with youth, it is not a mandatory requirement as we provide all coaches the opportunity to participate in multiple coach development clinics including the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP). We will also provide mentor coaches to new members who will work with you depending on your need.
Do I Need to Take Care of All the Logistics?
The RCBA league office takes care of the majority of logistics for you including; drafting all teams, scheduling your seasons practices and games, providing equipment you will need for the season (including a coaches binder with practice plans), and all major league communications.
So What Do I Need To Get Started?
Know Your Availability - When you register to coach, you will be asked what night you would prefer to practice. When we draft the teams, it will be in large part based on ensuring that all the players have the same night open to practice that you do, so we can book you a regular practice night without any issues. If your preference for a practice night changes before that teams are drafted, please just contact the office with the updated information.
Know Your Player's Availability - If you are coaching with someone else/coaching a specific player, please make sure that your preferred night to practice matches with their availability.
Criminal Record Check - Before the start of your first practice you will need to have a criminal record check submitted to the league office.
Completion of Respect in Sport Certificate (link found here) - Before the start of your first practice, you will need to submit the completion certificate for the RiS course (if you have done it with another sport/organization we just need the certificate number)
Understand the Coaches Code of Conduct!
Coaches registration can be completed online or call the RCBA office for any guide assistance when the registration process opens!
Coaches Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct of Coaches
1. I will treat all players, their parents and officials with respect at all times. I will not yell, use sarcasm or embarrass anyone in front of others.
2. I will teach all players the rules of the game.
3. I will avoid focusing on the talented players. I will make the team experience good for all players by letting everyone contribute.
4. I will help all my players master basketball basics. I will coach with player development as my main priority, I will not coach for wins at the expense of player development.
5. I will be patient with my players. I acknowledge players are going to make mistakes (missed shots, crucial turnovers, needless fouls, etc.) but I will coach with positivity and encouragement to improve player’s skills and decision making. I will help my players learn from those mistakes without cutting them down.
6. I will have a positive rapport with officials and opposing coaches. I will never bully or intimidate them. I will always set the right tone for my team by never arguing a call or disparaging an official or coach.
7. I will make a personal commitment to keep myself informed on rules, sound coaching principles and the principles of growth and development of children. I will contact the RCBA office for clarification of any rules.
8. I will be responsible in my demands on the young player’s time, energy and enthusiasm.
9. I will always follow the advice of a physician when determining when an injured player is ready to play again. I will never force a player to play through an injury.
10. I will talk to my players and their parents to explain my philosophy and expectations at the beginning of the season. I will encourage parents to talk to me if they have a concern about their child.
11. I will always be respectful of officials. If I have questions, I will wait for the appropriate stoppage of play to speak to the official. I will not yell, abuse, or belittle officials during a game EVER. I acknowledge that when the final whistle blows the game is over, I will not argue, or discuss the game with an official in an inappropriate manner.
12. If I, am sick, have any symptoms related to COVID-19, may have been exposed to COVID-19, have been diagnoses or are awaiting test results for COVID-19 I will notify the RCBA office immediately. I acknowledge that my failure to do so may result in my removal from the RCBA’s program without refund.
13. I will abide by the new policies related to COVID-19. I acknowledge that any failure to do so on my part, be on purpose, or accidental may result in my removal from RCBA programs without refund.
14. I will not display any behavior or actions that may put another player, coach, or spectator at risk of injury or increase the risk of transmission of COVID-19.
15. I will set a good example by always following the Saskatchewan Health Authority’s guidelines for safe behavior during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
16. I will answer all pre-screening questions honestly and never lie about symptoms related to COVID-19 when at an RCBA facility.
© 2021 Powered by TEAMLINKT